Friday, January 15, 2010

Praying and Continuing On In Faith

It's 12:17 am here in Louisville.  For some reason I can't sleep tonight.  I've read some, and I've been on my knees praying for the people of Haiti.  They are weighing heavy on my heart right now.  I just read that teams carrying medical supplies are having a hard time landing because of limited space to land and the number of planes trying to land to provide relief.  I'm praying specifically for God to get those planes in and out fast, for medical workers, for needed supplies, for relief from pain, for comfort.  I pray the gospel would go forth in Port-Au-Prince.

A local church is sending supplies to Haiti, so I've gathered a few things from around the house.  It amazed me how many things on the list we had just laying around! Candles, baby formula, towels, gauze, flour, tylenol, ibuprofen, bottles, clothes... It's all sitting on my kitchen table, waiting to be boxed up and sent.  I pray these things are useful to them and not just making me feel good about being able to do something!

I thank God for all the earthquakes He has stopped from happening, and I pray he would use this one he has allowed for good.

In other news, we've been in Louisville just under a week now.  We arrived on the coldest day I've experienced all winter!!  There was snow and ice on the ground, but God got us here safely.  The men got the truck unloaded while the women started unpacking boxes.  It was pretty overwhelming at first.  I'd never seen the place before, so I was trying to take in my new home, direct furniture placement, and take care of Benjamin without having a meltdown!

So far, I've figured out how to get to Target, Wal-Mart, Whole Foods, and Babies 'R Us.  I mean, what more does a girl need.  We've gone for a run around our neighborhood and determined the sidewalks are not the best for stroller running!  We've got the place all put together - pictures on the wall and all!  This will be our 5th move in three and a half years, so I guess experience pays off! 

We are living in a house built in the 1920's.  The first floor is a business, but the other floors and surrounding structures have been converted into apartments.  It's almost like dorm-life, only we're all married and have husbands in seminary.  Two of the families have small children and stay at home moms, so I've got someone close by if I need to chat!

We are praying for Derek's job interview on Saturday, and trusting God to provide for our needs.  It's been awesome to see Him provide every step of the way on our journey these past few months.  My faith has grown, but there have also been moments of freaking out! 

One verse that has brought me great comfort these past few weeks is 1 John 2:15-17

     "Do not love the world or the things in the world.  If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father   is not in him.  For all that is in the world - the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes, and pride in possessions - is not from the Father but is from the world.  And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever."

So, we continue on in faith!

No comments: