Wednesday, September 24, 2008

For Love of the Word

I have been taking an online seminary class this Fall on Systematic Theology. Most people could think of nothing more boring and pointless, but my mind works on the opposite stream. I find it fascinating, thought provoking, and most importantly it is stirring my affections for Christ and making me ask a lot of questions about myself. The question that continues to press on my heart and mind is this, "Do I really love the Scriptures." 
2 Timothy 3:16-17 says, "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work." Over the last few weeks these words have haunted me. We aren't talking about some random author who decided to put pen to paper and spill his thoughts. The God who created the world, holds  it together,and  intervened to bring salvation has spoken to us through the words of our sacred Scriptures. How can I not run to them every day several times a day. Instead I find myself browsing Barnes & Noble or searching Amazon.com for the next great book. 
In one of my class lectures my professor stated that he thinks most Christians don't truly believe the words of 2 Timothy. If we really believed them then we would be running to the Bible more than anywhere else. I must sadly confess this attitude of unbelief usually resides in my heart. I am begging Jesus to change me. I am asking Him to put in me a burning passion for His Word. Because Psalm 19:7 says, "The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul..."

Photobucket

No comments: