Friday, September 5, 2008

Trees, Fruit and Seasons

So for the last few weeks I have been reading Psalm 1 (it is actually a requirement for a seminary class I am taking. has there ever been a better homework assignment than to read the Word?!) In the Psalm is says a man is blessed if he meditates on the Law of God. Then it illustrates how the blessing turns out. It says, "he is like a tree that is planted by streams of water that yields it's fruit in season." Those last 3 words have really made me think over the last week or so. In my life as an Outdoor Education teacher I used to tell kids about trees and how most trees had a growing time and a dormant period. Which means that only during certain times of the year is a tree actually able to yield fruit. The rest of the year it is impossible for the tree to yield its fruit. That doesn't mean the rest of the year is a waste for the tree. In fact it needs these times in order to be able to bear fruit every year. So why have I been thinking about all of this. 
Well, Jesus makes a point in John 15 to tell his disciples about fruit bearing. And it doesn't stop in John, the Bible is full of analogies that refer us back to the bearing of fruit. In the passage in John Jesus urges his disciples to abide in him in order to bear fruit. In Psalm 1 it tells us a righteous and blessed man yields fruit in season. Which means there are times where we will not be bearing fruit. But that does not mean I still don't abide in the vine. See a branch of a tree has no say in the bearing of fruit. The only job it has is to stay connected to the roots of the tree. As a believer really have no say in when I bear fruit. My only job is to stay connected to the vine/root which is Christ. And just like God the Father will decide when the tree will bear fruit the same goes for me and my life. And, according to Jesus, bearing fruit is what brings glory to God. So I am called to abide and to meditate on the Word and leave growing and bearing up to Him. 



Photobucket

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I've started reading the bible chronologically with the church as listed in the bulletin...and something similar in Genesis popped out at me:

Genesis 1:11-12
"And God said, 'Let the earth sprout vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind, on the earth.' And it was so. The earth brought forth vegetation, plants yielding seed according to their kinds, and trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind."

I saw this in a new way, a way in which God refers to all of his creation as having the ability to bear fruit according to their kind.

It just made me think...what kind of fruit tree am I? What kind of seeds do I have...what kind of vegetation can I produce according to my kind? Yes we are all human, made in his likeness, but yet so differently made.

I feel as though I'm not in harvest season, but desperately hoping that God is pruning my branches and preparing me for a new spring...where I can bear fruit and know that it is Him in me...and my very own kind.